Thoughts From Reading: Newness and Repetition

"Look at everything always as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time: Thus is your time on earth filled with glory." 

Betty Smith


I ran away to Starbucks today to have a coffee date with my books and papers... wrote promised letters to friends, and was able to really sink my teeth into the first of my winter-reading books. 
I like marking down snippets and quotes that spark my imagination or feed the soul. This is one that stuck with me today, from Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse.
"Repetition had taken the place of newness"
It brought to mind one of my favorite authors, Ann Voskamp,  who wrote a book called  One Thousand Gifts as well as a daily blog. The theme she so often looks at is immeasurable grace of God as shown to us in the little everyday things. Her practice, which has been picked up by many--including myself, is to record the gifts that each day brings her. When I read her book, I was amazed with the way she looks at the world. Her method of seeing the beautiful in the ordinary was beautiful in the most simple manner. It challenged me to open my eyes to see the same. I've found that the key is to look at everything as if seeing it for the very first time. As if it was brand new. As if I were brand new. The days I roll out of bed, glorying in the cold air that wakes me up, the pink sky over the dorm parking lot, the rain that soaks me to the skin--even in the very normalness that defines my student life-- and then recognize the One behind those things that make up and surround my being; those are the days that are joy-filled. However, when I neglect to look for the God-gifts, my days become dull and  routine. Newness and beauty are replaced with repetition and an ugly spirit. As a Christian, I am called to Newness, entitled to it even!

2 Corinthians 5:17

New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
17 So if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: everything old has passed away; see, everything has become new!

2 comments

  1. You like Ann Voskamp? I love her! I didn't know you liked her too! Small world.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! she's a favorite of mine for sure! I really wish we had a CLF that would incorporate her book. :)

      Delete