Exciting ventures

Here's a story that starts back at Christmas break--on Christmas Eve actually. I was hiding from from the craziness of Christmas cookie baking up in my room, having put too much butter in the first batch of shortbread.  I  was organizing folders on my computer and coming across my creative writing portfolio, I decided to do something with the some of the essays I had written for Dr. Impson's creative non-fiction class. So, with a little surfing of the interwebs I came up with a couple of contests and writer anthologies that were taking submissions. Fixing up my drafts, and formatting  everything to meet guidelines, I sent them in, then went back down stairs  to rejoin the chaos, completely forgetting about the entries.
Then back in February, I got an email from the editor of the Young Writers' Anthology, a publication of the VerbalEyze writers cooperative based in south Atlanta, informing me of their decision to include one of my essays in their May edition. I was surprised, excited and full of questions. The email came on the perfect day, when I had been questioning my creativity and generally just stuck in a rut. There's a Sylvia Plath quote on my wall in the dorm that says
"Sometimes I feel so stupid and dull and uncreative that I am amazed when people tell me differently"
Yep, that pretty much sums up what I felt then, and still feel every time someone likes what I write. I try not to let it go to my head, but it's pretty encouraging.

So, the details! The 2013 College edition of the Young Writers' Anthology is titled "Springing from Halls of Marble" (why, I have no earthly idea.) and you can find out more information about it by clicking the link HERE. The cool thing about this anthology, is that the purpose behind it is to give young writers a chance to experience the publishing process, from contracts to communicating with an editor  to publicizing it to earning royalties in the form of a scholarship fund.
It still seems pretty surreal to think about... but I'm kind of excited. :) So, check out the links if you want, and thanks for reading this little update from my world!


2 comments

  1. Congratulations, Sarah! A well-earned honor, indeed. Which essay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dr. Impson! It was "What Does Not Change" (the one that started out as the freewrite on ants.)

      Delete