Tea with Madeleine

Today it's roobios chai accompanied by toast and jam, but the blend of tea doesn't really matter to this ritual of mine. A classic irish breakfast laden with 2% milk (in the sad absence of half and half) and two spoons of sugar--always two--was the brew that graced my mug a couple of days ago, and during the school year, tea may very well be replaced by coffee. School mornings usually require that extra jumpstart that 8 ounces of caffeinated beverage can provide.  The point is, its not what that matters, but rather the who.
 Over the past year, I've cultivated an author-reader relationship--quite unlike anything I've ever known--with Madeleine L'Engle. I'd become aquainted with her in early highschool, when I read A Wrinkle in Time one summer. I kept up that aquaintenceship, but only sporadically, as I read the rest of the Time Quartet over the years.Then, this past fall, I read Walking on Water for an English class. At first the reintrodution to Madeleine L'Engle was like any sort of academic relationship--businesslike and professional--as I read, taking note of what I might apply to my classwork, and what I might need for my paper. But somewhere in the midst of the scholarly discussion that was happening in my head, it was as if Ms. L'Engle had reached out to take my hand, saying, "I'd love to talk some more; lets have tea sometime."
So, I took her up on the offer.
Tea, Coffee, breakfast; I've spent many a morning, and evening, and that occasional spare hour tucked between one thing and the next, with Madeleine. She's become both a kindred spirit and mentor-in-print to me. I started the relationship looking for insight on how to write, and came away with not only that, but many valuable lessons in Being.  It seems that every time I sit down with her , hot mug of something in nearby and pencil and journal in hand, she helps me sort my jumbled thoughts, pulling forward the important ideas in my brain and saying, "Darling, is this what you've been trying to say?" and she pins it dead on every time.
She Names me. She helps me to be more the person God created me to be. Had she not passed away six years ago, I would have cherished a fanciful dream that I really could meet her someday, or at the very least, write to her. However, she left this world a wealth of glorious books, and through that medium, I will continue to have tea with my friend Madeleine.

2 comments

  1. What beautiful thoughts! Maybe when we get to heaven, there will be a L'Engle tea room, and we'll get to chat with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anissa! that would be wonderful. :)

      Delete