girlhood things and sprig muslin

I've been reveling in the joys of re-reading an old series from childhood this week--The Betsy-Tacy series, by Maud Hart Lovelace. I read the first few books in 3rd grade, but didn't discover the later ones till I was in highschool. For those unfamiliar with the series, its follows the life of a girl, Betsy Warrington Ray, and her two best friends, red-headed Tacy Kelly, and fairy-like Tib Muller. The books start when Betsy and Tacy are quite young--five or six, I believe--and continue through highschool and into Betsy's first year of marriage. The books are all quite wholesome, and on my Must Read list for any girl. The girls get into all sorts of hilarious scrapes and seem to have hardly a care in their Pre-Great War world. I'm currently re-reading the highschool years, and as I am wont to do,  projecting the characters onto my own life. I can see myself and my friends reflected in varying combinations of personalities. Betsy's journaling certainly sounds so much like my own, that I wonder if, somehow, I  have been subconsciously echoing her in the way I write these past four years of steady journal keeping. Tacy is just one of the many red-head's who have stirred my own longing for true red hair, and her coronet braids have certainly been manifested in my life a lot the past couple of years.
Most mornings lately, you'd be able to find me sitting legs folded beneath me in my plush armchair with coffee  at hand, giggling at the escapades of Betsy's Crowd,  smiling a secret smile when ever Joe Willard comes into the story (for I know what Betsy doesn't know... she's gonna marry him someday) and occasionally scribbling a quote down in my ever present notebook. It's been good for my imagination, and good for my soul.
*
Also on a slightly unrelated note, I have an observation. Isn't "sprigged" the loveliest word? Meaning "decorated with a design of leaves or flowers" you'll most often read it in books like Betsy-Tacy, and Little House on the Prairie, in the context of describing fabric. Ma Ingalls has a sprigged calico dress, Tib Muller has a lilac sprigged dress, and I do believe there's a Georgette Heyer book titled "Sprig Muslin". The word is  dainty and quaint and innocent in sound, and I am utterly enthralled with it. It kinda makes me want to sew a sprigged calico dress of my own. 

Til next time my lovely readers, I am yours in hopeless romanticism.
S


2 comments

  1. Yes. To all of this! :) Did you know that there is such a thing as sprigs in pottery? It is a beautiful delicate and patterned effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it! I googled sprigs and came up with all sorts of pretty things.

      Delete