Doctor Who: Why I Watch It and Other Things

WARNING: The following contains jargon and unexplained references to a complicated TV show. Read at your own risk. also, SPOILERS maybe. Just to be on the safe side.

It was only a matter of time before I wrote this post... Ask me what I've been doing for fun this summer, and I'll tell you three things: Reading, sleeping and watching Doctor Who. By the end of this weekend I will have completed 4 seasons of the highly acclaimed BBC show, and I am not ashamed of this fact.
I decided to write this post for a couple of reasons,
1.) To better explain to the various non-whovians* in my friend group my unabashed love for the show,
2.) To explain to my whovian friends why I can watch the show completely out of order and still respect its 50 year legacy.
3.) To explain why the Eleventh Doctor is my favorite (and its NOT just because he's the best looking)

*whovian: noun. A word which here means, "fan of Doctor Who"

So, here's my story.
I started watching Doctor Who (henceforth abbreviated as DW) in January of 2012, at the beginning of the Spring Semester. I had nothing to do after moving back in to the dorms and I had been thinking about giving the show a try, so I wrapped up in blankets and queued up my Netflix. I started at Season 5, where Matt Smith picks up the story as the Eleventh Doctor. This is one point on which on of my whovian friends and I disagree "You can't just start in the middle of a show!" he says.
I say you can.
I had researched the show before I started. (What can I say, I'm a librarian!) Being active on Tumblr and Pinterest had let me in on the fact that this was no new fad, but rather a longstanding, well respected show with a huge fan base and a lasting legacy of nearly 50 years. But where do you start with a show of such enormous proportions?
This is what it's like starting Doctor Who
There are three answers, none of them right, none of them wrong. It just depends on your personal preference.
1.) Start with Classic Who. Not all of the Classic episodes even exist anymore, having been lost, or (sadly) just chucked in the rubbish heap by BBC (the archivist in me cries bitter tears at this thought) but Netflix does have a few key stories from each of the Eight Doctors before the show went off the air.
2.) Start at the reboot. A fan decided to revive the show after it had been off the air for about 16 years. The the reboot starts up with a new season numbering starting at season one with the Ninth Doctor.
3.) Start at the most recent Doctor. While researching, I found fan forums saying that this was an acceptable way to start, so thats what I did. I picked up with Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor  at Season 5.

"But you won't understand the story!" you say.
Let me ask you this. Do you think Amy Pond understood the entire life story of the Doctor and the race of the Time Lords when she first met Eleven when he dropped out of the sky in a blue box and landed in her
garden? No.  I learned about the Doctor along with his companions, and I think that's a perfectly acceptable way to approach the show. (Also, I pick up on things quickly, so it wasn't any problem.)

That being said, Eleven is undeniably my favorite for a couple reasons, the most simple being a phrase that is oft repeated in the sphere of the whovian universe.  "You never forget your first Doctor." I fell in love with the story of the Doctor while watching with Eleven, therefore, I am unshakably loyal to him as my favorite.
But there are other reasons I like Eleven. His style for one, I adore the awkward, tripping all over himself, long-legged, bow-tie and suspenders wearing image that Matt Smith shaped as his version of the Doctor.
Secondly, his theme song. Murray Gold composed the most wonderful piece of TV music in the universe when he wrote the "I Am The Doctor" Theme. It is truly beautiful and will never get old in my ears. Thirdly, his speeches and quotes are marvelous. One minute he'll be giving an epic, blood-stirring speech of defiance from the middle of Stonehenge, and the next minute he's speaking the most uncanny words of wisdom. He speaks with such universality, that even non-whovians might see a quote and be inspired by the philosophy of the Doctor as it is realized in the words of his Eleventh Regeneration. Quotes like
"You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important before." 
 and
 "My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." 
 are only a two examples of the life-giving mentality that I love about the Eleventh Doctor. No, I haven't seen all of the other Regenerations yet, but from what I have seen, this is a special something about the Doctor that Eleven brings out very well. And THAT, my friends is the ultimate reason why I love Eleven.
Now, I don't expect my non-whovian friends to drop everything and start watching the show immediately. I'm not a radical, just a gentle evangelist, when it comes to winning people over to my fandom. If you don't want to come, its ok. I understand. Not everyone has the time or energy to be a fan-girl/-boy. Nor do I expect my whovian friends to agree with me totally. Just hear me out and see things from where I stand for a minute. Its a lovely place, but not for everyone. Just take a peek at the view from here, then you can go back to your linear, logical standpoints. ;)
And for all you people, like my mom, who don't really get why I get so obsessed with things like Doctor Who, I leave you with a quote from author John Green on what it means to be a nerd.
 “…because nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it. When people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.” 
Peace, my fellow enthusiasts-of-the-miracle-of-human-consciousness. Over and Out. S

No comments