Coffee

Someone recently asked me if I was a coffee person,
I replied simply, "Is the sky blue?"

Yes, I'm a coffee person if you mean, do I drink it regularly. But drinking coffee on a regular basis is not the only thing that makes me a coffee lover. Not only do I drink coffee regularly, but I drink it ritually. I mull over the philosophy of coffee--and yes, I hold a philosophy of coffee--as I brew it in the mornings for the awakening of the day; as I drink it in the evening for the quickening of the mind; as I sit with a friend, mug cradled between cupped palms, in the quiet communion of kindred souls.

I don't remember exactly when I started drinking coffee, though it was probably somewhere between senior year of highschool and freshman year of college. In my house, coffee has predominately been a "grown-up" drink--it'll stunt your growth and what-not. More like, "it'll make you hyper and we don't need a bunch of coffee-hyper kids." My dad has been a coffee drinker as long as I can remember, but my mom didn't start drinking it till she was in her thirties, starting with gas-station machine cappuccinos with fancy fall flavors.  Now she has her morning coffee and quiet time in the library every morning, and my favorite picture of my mother is that of her with green mug in hand, Bible and journal in her lap, and reading glasses perched on her nose. I'm gonna look like that when I grow up.

Coffee has become more important to me since going away to school. For the first two years of dorm life, the only coffee I had quick access to (free coffee at least) was cafeteria coffee, which is alright in a pinch, but by the time fall break rolled around, I would be longing for a big mug--not the little 6 oz dining room standard coffee cups--of my family's coffee, brewed right and strong. Going home meant drinking Peden Coffee and sure enough, often as soon as my car was unloaded, Mom would put on the coffee and we'd sit in the living room catching each other up on our lives on either end of the state. It was like a warm welcome home hug.

Then came this past summer and my adventure away from home. I lived and worked on campus and with the cafeteria shut down, I had to fend for myself. There was no way I was gonna go all summer with out coffee, so I went out to Goodwill and found a working pot for $2. I brought it home and cleaned it up and finally began to own my coffee heritage. I formed my own coffee rituals, drinking my morning coffee with breakfast and my books, and afternoon coffee with my best friend as we watched BBC adaptations of Dickens novels.  I turned her into a coffee drinker over the summer, so that the other day when she told me she had been craving my coffee, I was filled with a strange sense of pride. My coffee was now officially Peden Coffee.

So what is my philosophy of coffee?
Coffee is communal. Its for talking and loving and being family.
But coffee is also individual. Its for reading and writing and Being.
It's so much more than hot water and grounds and cream and sugar; coffee is my love language.



3 comments

  1. I love your love language...but not as much as I love you...I think I'm gonna go brew some coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I'm a fairly new coffee drinker, but I just got some of the same feelings of happiness reading this as actual coffee gives me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! I take that as the highest of compliments. :)

      Delete