A Momentary Lull

There are, occasionally, times when the events of my harried life and all the many hats I wear--student, sister, daughter, friend--are suspended in a momentary lull. I have to be careful, or I'll miss the being of these moments for the doings and goings that press in on either side. When I find myself in a moment where all these layers are lifted off me and I'm allowed to simply exist and reacquaint myself with the knowledge of my Father's reign , I find a deeper rest than even sleep can provide.
I've always loved Psalm 127, one of the Psalms of Ascent, of which the first two verses in The Message paraphrase read:
 If God doesn’t build the house,
    the builders only build shacks.
If God doesn’t guard the city,
    the night watchman might as well nap.
It’s useless to rise early and go to bed late,
    and work your worried fingers to the bone.
Don’t you know he enjoys
    giving rest to those he loves? 

I so often forget that I can do nothing without God's help, and He gives me all the reminder I need in my little moments of being. And so, when I find myself in the lull, instead of fretting about tomorrow's big project, or the unmade plans for post-graduation, I pray for diligence, strength and perseverance to do the next right thing.


No comments