A Wardrobe-Personality Experiment

Yesterday I conducted an experiment with myself. My roommate had put together an outfit for me, entirely from her wardrobe, (complete with 4 inch heels) and I wore it the whole day, with the intention of experiencing the difference a complete style change affords. It takes confidence to walk in 4 inch heels, but I found that the confidence I mustered to make my way up the hill to campus, was recycled and came back to me exponentially greater. I felt like a queen as I sat through classes with my roommates cute cream-colored top and coordinating navy-shot with gold-cardigan, the only evidence of my own personal style being the worn out, comfortable skinny jeans with a neat hand sewn calico patch mending the one egregious hole.  I sat up straighter, held my head higher and generally tried to own the air of sophistication that my outfit gave me.

But despite the fun I had wearing my confidence on my sleeve...(or on my feet, if you will), I found that by the end of the day, I was completely exhausted, in mind, body and spirit.  I think that it is not that confidence is not natural to my personality, but that my confidence doesn't need to be shouted through what I wear. So this morning when I got ready for classes I reverted to my own style--the homemade flannel plaid skirt, tights and sensible brogues. I am comfortable, I am happy, and I feel no less self-assured.

The discussion of introversion/extraversion seems to be a hot topic these days, but I'm gonna dare to add my voice to the throng and say that this experiment showed me just one way that my introversion has manifested itself.  But that's just me, and by no means am I saying that all introverts dress like me or vice-versa. I generally avoid the Myers-Briggs discussion because I believe that humans have the tendency to label and pigeon-hole people enough as it is with out introducing a pyschological element to the mix. The important thing to remember is that each one of us uniquely reflects the image of God, and as image-bearers, you need to be the best you that you can possibly be.  I tell my five year old sister, who has recently developed a habit of asking, "Am I pretty?" that, as nice as it is to be pretty, it is also important to be good and kind and true.

So friend, be confident. Be beautiful. Be you.

2 comments