What is Your Life Genre?

I have a theory that everyone's life has a certain genre to it. It is seen in your personal style, the way you react to your life events and how your life has played out so far. 
Some people were born into a fairy-tale. Their lives glow and sparkle as if sprinkled with pixie-dust. Everything about them strikes the senses with the extraordinary. To them belongs the roses, ribbons, and lace. The damsel in distress gets rescued by the charming prince and after the curse is broken, all live happily ever after.
Such is the life of my roommate. When describing her to friends and family, I often fall back on "She's like a Disney princess." And it's true. The first time I went home with her, everything I had learned about her in the context of school finally made sense, for in a little town on the outskirts of Atlanta, where book-shoppes (and they ARE shoppes) are named after foxes and trolleys run at Christmastime, is a little house with a rose bower bedroom belonging to its only daughter.

As for me, I am convinced that I was born into a period drama. When people describe me, they often use phrases like, "Jane Austen", "Little House on the Prairie" and "Anne of Green Gables." Obviously, the era varies on occasion, but I've never looked out of place in dresses styled a hundred years ago. The events of my life happen slowly, unfolding over the space of several chapters and though the observer cannot hear it, there is a sweet, achingly beautiful musical score that plays in my head. Mine is the quiet, unambitious life, filled with needlework, tea, reading, and playing the instrument. I glory in a good walk, and enjoy a dance as much as the next Bennet girl. I love my family and few friends with a fierce loyalty, and I have a feeling that when I fall in love, it won't be a thing of fireworks and first-sight magic, but a slow building so that I will say as Lizzie did ,"it has been coming on so gradually, that I hardly know when it began." 

What about you? Through what genre-lens do you see your life? 


1 comment