The Dress

This is the story of a girl and a dress.

It all started in the Fall of 2011, when I first moved out to Dayton to go to Bryan College. The first few months of adjustment were pretty hard, as I don't make friends very quickly, and was frequently homesick. Rather than holing up in my dorm room, I made it my goal to go to the historic downtown once a week and visit a new shop each time.

My first stop was the library, when I began my long, happy relationship with Clyde... but that's a different story.

 One week, I decided to go to the Gathering Place, a cute little antique shop on main street. It's one of those places that houses different vendor booths, so you have a sampling of various antiques as well as handcraft items.
 While browsing through a rack of vintage clothing, I came across the most beautiful Gunne Sax dress. I had grown up hearing about the Gunne Sax line from my mother, and recognized the long, full tiered skirt, filmy sleeves and lace trim as being from the 70's prairie-revival trend before I even saw the label. We ha d a hoedown themed banquet coming up at Bryan, and I briefly considered buying it for that occasion, but because I had to buy choral wear for Women's chorus, I held off, promising myself that if it was still there by the time I graduated, I would get it then.

Fast-forward to Fall 2013, my last semester at Bryan. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Gathering Place with my roommate for the final check on my dress. Just as it had been for the past two and a half years, it was still there. I tried it on and it fit perfectly; it was destined to be.

I bought it, telling the lady at the counter my story. She asked what I'd do with it.
I shrugged, "Take pictures... Save it for a special occasion... Wear it to a costume party..."
 I'd get married in this dress.

***
Today, before she left for home, my roommate took pictures for me.

I felt like Jo March.

    





No comments