Be Bold. Make Mistakes.

It would be shame to let the first day of the year pass with out adding a little something to my blog, but as of yet,  the things I want to write about are still in the nebulous thought cloud that floats above my head, just out of my grasp, so what I post today is nothing much of my own, but rather a wonderful thought from one of my heroes.

Neil Gaiman, author of Coraline, Stardust, and the Graveyard Book among others, has been a hero of mine for quite some time, not only because of his fantastic imagination and wonderful stories, but also because he has spoken quite warmly of libraries and librarians. This alone makes me want to hug the man and then bake him cookies.

A couple of years ago, he posted some lovely words of advice on his blog, words that I wish to pass on to you today.

"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something. So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life. Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it. Make your mistakes, next year and forever."

Happy New Year! Go forth boldly!

-S

No comments