Late Night Scribblings: Overcoming Boredom



All. Day. Long.

I've been stuck in a rut since... Monday, when I got home after visit to Bryan and all my oldests and dearests. It was an absolutely amazing visit full of late nights of nothings and early mornings that mean everything.Today, the ennui was the worst yet, but I'm determined to make it go away. The problem up until this point has been, I believe, a severe lack of just that--determination... and movitation. There's been plenty for me to do, I just haven't wanted to do it. Writing is one of those things. I have a growing list of things in my head that I need to write out, either in my journal or here or somewhere, and I've been lax in keeping on top of them. I get antsy if I put off writing for too long. So, here I am! Oh, dear reader, how dedicated you are to be still reading this right now. I promise that it will not be one long pity-me-I'm-out-of-school-and-don't-have-a-job-yet party.

Lately I've been revisiting Naming in my thoughts again... I listened to L'Engle's A Wind in the Door (again) on my road trip this past weekend, and had a few thoughts:
 "Why do I not already own the entire Time Quintet" (well, I didn't as of that point, they're in the mail now.)
and
"Why is Ms. L'Engle always so dead on?"
and
"Hmm... I've written about what it means to be Named... I think I'm finally beginning to understand what it means to be a Namer... time to write some more?" (btw: that link goes to my old blog that I don't really use anymore for reasons that I can't remember anymore. The essay is something I wrote for fun Junior year.)

So, that's one thing I have on my "desk" (quotes because it's not actually on my desk, because I don't actually have a desk) at the moment. Now that I've told you, O best beloved, (I always loved how Kipling refers to his reader as "best beloved" in Just-So-Stories and I thought I'd try. I like it.) I'm more likely to follow through. So, thank you for holding me accountable in your silent way.

I'm looking at everything I've written and just itching to delete it all and walk away, but I can't let myself do that today. I said I was determined to get out of this rut of boredom and here I go, throwing down sand and salt and adding chains to my tires till I gain some traction. I'll be out soon.

Still scribbling; still yours,

S, who is not a high-functioning-sociopath, but is still rather bored--and has watched a good bit of Sherlock recently.



1 comment

  1. Before you ever hit the delete key, re-read your work through the eyes of your future kids.... that'll fix things.

    ReplyDelete