Trees and Poems

Poems are made by fools like me, 
But only God can make a tree. 
-Joyce Kilmer, "Trees" 

The first poem I ever wrote was on trees. Figuratively and literally, now that I think about it... ('cause paper... made from wood... okay, I'm done.)

No, you don't get to read it, for two reasons:
1.) I was like, seven, when I wrote it and despite the fact that my grandparents ooh-ed and ahh-ed over it then, (as grandparents are required to do by the Universal Laws of Grandparentdom) I'd be mortified for anyone to see it now.
2.) I lost it somewhere over the course of the past 15 years.

I love trees in general, more than any other growing thing... This is probably a by-product of growing up on Anne of Green Gables. The first time we meet her she's contemplating the idea of spending the night in a cherry tree (which I think would be amazing were it comfortable...)
... but some some trees are just kindred spirits. Like this one:


 Isn't she beautiful?  Yes.

Happy Arbor Day!

-Sarah

P.S. Isn't it wonderful that Arbor Day and National Poetry Month both belong to April?
I love April.
P.P.S Read all of Joyce Kilmer's poem here --> "Trees"



No comments