Visiting With Old Friends

There are times when what I need most is to hear from my oldest and dearest of friends... the ones that have been with me since childhood, go with me no matter where I move, and will stay with me no matter what happens in life. We're so close that we can just pick up from wherever I am in life and just go, no matter how long I've neglected them. They always have something to say that reminds me of who I am, and what I'm about.

Meet Alice, Anne and Luna: three of the kindred souls who have long helped me be me.

What have they had to say recently? Well, here are a few words from them that have Named me of late:

“I can't help flying up on the wings of anticipation. It's as glorious as soaring through a sunset... almost pays for the thud.” --Anne
I always find myself gaining an exhilarated sort of hopefulness when faced with a new possiblities--lately, this has most pertained to job interviews--no matter how hard I fell in disappointment after the last failed attempt, I rise just as high the next time. Being an eternal optimist can lead to a lot of bruises for sure, but I've found that they heal fast. 

“It will come sometime. Some beautiful morning she will just wake up and find it is Tomorrow. Not Today but Tomorrow. And then things will happen ... wonderful things.” --Anne
 I mentioned being an optimist? Yes. I look to Tomorrow with the greatest hope in my heart. Tomorrow and Someday are two of the nicest words in my language.

“All life lessons are not learned at college,'she thought. Life teaches them everywhere.” --Anne
Girl, don't you know it. Though some of the most important ones I've learned have been at college.

“Tears don't hurt like the ache does.” --Anne
Sometimes it just helps to cry. Cry it out, friend. 

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then." --Alice
I look to Yesterday so often, wishing to have it back in one form or another, but Alice is right... no matter how much I want to I can't go back because I'm the same as I was then. 

"Curiouser and curiouser." --Alice
Plot twists. Life is full of them. Acknowledge them and move on.

"I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir, because I'm not myself you see." --Alice
Those days are wretched, aren't they, Alice dear? But we always come 'round in the end.

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)." --(about Alice)
I've the same bad habit; however, I'm learning to listen to myself. It's slow going, but at least I'm making progress. 

"You're just as sane as I am." --Luna
Yes, you, reader. You may think I'm a little odd with my friends and all, but look at yourself--how are you odd? Embrace your inner quirky every once in a while. You might like it, and I won't judge. 

***

The Anne of Green Gables Series is by my beloved L.M. Montgomery
Alice in Wonderland is by the inestimable Lewis Carroll
The Harry Potter Series (in which you meet Luna in book 5) is by the queen of fantasy, J.K. Rowling

If you haven't read any of the above, I suggest you start now. MAKE HASTE!

No comments