000s - Generalities

I don't remember a time when I didn't know how the Dewey Decimal system worked. It falls into the same black hole as the time before I could read. My mom encouraged me to memorize my first Dewey number--741.5, comic books. Specifically, Sunday funny-paper collections.

I've lived and breathed and absorbed information organization for over 15 years of my life, and only a small part of that time was intentional. The point is, I feel innately built for library work. This stuff comes naturally to me. So when, like this week, I find myself in the position of training a new hire on library things, I find myself at an impasse. I've only ever worked with people that knew as much, or more than me in most matters of the library. My first instinct is to assume that what comes naturally to me, must be also ingrained in the minds of those I work with as well. Not so much...



It takes great effort, I'm learning, to evaluate what I know, identify the most important information and transfer the data successfully to a trainee. I've gained vast wells of patience working with computer illiterate patrons, but there's no favors being given on my part if I coddle anyone through, "here, can I drive the mouse?" -a few swift clicks and we're done. The goal is accomplished, but has anything been learned? Nope. There's some patrons that don't really want to learn anything, and I have to recognize that. All they want is their paystub printed. They don't want a lesson in internet browsers.

But my new trainee? Its only in my own best interest if I make sure I'm teaching him correctly. The more he knows, the more of my double work load I can relinquish. Its hard though. How do you instruct, but given the student time and space to learn experientially? How do you check up and evaluate progress without seeming hover-y or nitpicky? I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence and capabilities (heaven knows, I've been on the receiving end of that enough) But I also want to be able to give up the reigns fully and know the job is being done as I would do it, or even better. Work with me, kid, as I work with you. We'll get through this.

__
P.S. Wanna know what Dewey number you are? Here's a quiz , in which I got
000's - Generalities! You have a passion for general knowledge and information. You love locating information in books, reference works, and on the computer. You also enjoy keeping up to date with current events. Let's face it, information is your life! And you love it!
True Dat. I'll take it.

and here's a random wierd numerology type thing... but its kinda dead on, so I'm keeping it.

Sarah Lindsey Peden's Dewey Decimal Section:707 Education, research & related topicsSarah Lindsey Peden = 91818294495565454 = 918+182+944+955+654+54 = 3707
Class:700 Arts & Recreation
Contains:Architecture, drawing, painting, music, sports.
What it says about you:You're creative and fun, and you're good at motivating the people around you. You're attracted to things that are visually interesting. Other people might not always understand your taste or style, but it's yours.

Read that italicized part. Read it again. That is my life. The end.
- S

No comments