my favorite things - august 2015

Look at me, writing this post on time! woohoo! The fact that it *is* on time mirrors how life has been lately... i.e. fairly well organized and put together. I've recovered pretty much 100% from the craziness of the summer, and tomorrow I start back with my Fall library routine. I've done this once before, so I can only do it better this time around!


My August favorites are brought to you partially by the genius of Evernote, which is one of my favorite things this month. Evernote is part cloud note book, part bookmark tool, and it has been key in my getting life organized during August, my planning month. I have a work account and a personal account, both of which I keep open on my browser throughout the day. Its been really helpful for jotting down ideas for programs, compiling links to articles, writing program "scripts" and more on the work end... but on the personal end its been amazing for keeping track of things I stumble across on the interwebs while researching for a program - things that could really suck me down a rabbit hole and steal time from work... but stuff I really want to check out later. I just keep a running log of links I want to follow from home or on lunch break... important things I need to remember to do later etc. and I can just keep on working like Im supposed to!  Its fantastic. Check it out!

So that's my really big and practical favorite... I have two others of note this month as well.

First. THIS. I listed Smelly Cat by Phoebe Buffay on Friends as one of July's favorites, and the music muses have blessed me with this gem. Taylor Swift (fave for life) has been bringing out cool surprise guests at her 1989 tour concerts and just recently, she had Lisa Kudrow (a.k.a. Phoebe Buffay) come and they SANG SMELLY CAT TOGETHER.
it was magic.


The other thing is also magic. literally.
I was re-reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli,  and the title character offhandedly mentions that Iceland has National Enchanted Places. I was curious, so I looked it up, and sure enough, the country as a whole has a certain respect for nature that is manifested in a belief in fairies, elves and trolls. The Enchanted Places are protected spots where it is believed the fay folk live.
This made me even more curious about the country, and after a little more research, I basically need to move there. Pronto.  Take this lovely little tidbit into consideration:

and apparently (so I've been informed) there' NO MOSQUITOS. 

Can I repeat my sentiment in that facebook post above?
 BRB moving to iceland!

Peace out, citizens of the interwebs. 

look forward to the mention of much Harry Potter next month, as I'm reading nothing but! 


till next time, lovelies!

No comments