On Being Heard

I had the opportunity today to sit down with my pastor and tell the story that doesn't get told enough. If you were to look at a drawn timeline of my life thus far, you'd see a little blip of ink on the the year 2007. Seeing that blip in comparison to, say, the 4 years of my life in college, or even the past three years of my life in West Tennessee, you'd not think that mark very significant. However, if you were to analyze the richness and concentration of that blip of ink, you understand that much more can happen in a short period of time that you could ever imagine. Having moved (technically college counts, because new community) three times since 2007, and considering that nearly 10 years have passed, there's a reason the story of that blip doesn't get told much anymore. You can't just drag up a 10 year old history of your past at a dinner party or when you meet someone new for the first time... it takes a certain degree of familiarity or need for familiarity for someone to want to hear about that one time for 6 months that your family attended an Anglican church and your life was never the same.

Or does it? Maybe I need to tell that story more often. I don't know. you tell me. 

I was talking to the pastoral staff at my church the other day about membership and that blip came up, because it was relevant. When giving your testimony, you don't leave out the most influential spiritual time of your life. I didn't go into detail however, but just gave an overview of my entire testimony, honestly and completely.

I was called back today to discuss more with our pastor, for reasons I won't go into right now, but essentially, he told me he wanted to hear more about that blip. For the first time in ages I told the full story to ears that not only were willing, but understanding and interested. I might have cried with the catharsis of it. For the story of a major time period in my life that is often not understood (even by family members) to be heard with such compassion and grace is a rarity and a blessing. I might even be inspired to tell it more.

Dear Baptist Friends,
You have an Anglican in your midst, and guess what!? she's normal. Her heart may beat to a liturgical rhythm but she she's a sinner in need of a Savior just the same as you.  She might not understand why you believe some things and you might not understand why she doesn't understand. But she's walking alongside you and trying to grow alongside you. Ask her about her story.  We can meet over coffee and I'll tell you.
-your sprinkled friend





2 comments