Reading Year in Review : 2016





I LOVE statistics, so end of the year wrap up posts are a weakness of mine. Goodreads has a really good infographic style way of showing you your year in books (at least the ones you tracked through the site) so I thought I'd share mine.
My numerical goal for reading this year was 60, a number I picked for two reasons: 1) I read 52 books last year and wanted to challenge myself. 2) I wanted to track my reading through instagram and make a photo book at then end of the year, and 60 is the the number of photos one Chatbook will hold! I ended up reading 82. ("Hamilton wrote... THE OTHER FIFTY-ONE!" yeah, thats how I feel about that over-achievement)
My "theme" for the year was loose ... in 2015 I attempted the Popsugar challenge (you know the one... it was all over Pinterest) and it definitely got me reading out of my normal ruts, but by the end I was burnt out on reading what a list proscribed, so I told myself this year that I would read a.) old-fashioned girl books and b.) whatever I dang well wanted.

I feel like I accomplished both pretty well. (Favorite Old-Fashioned Girl Book: Daddy Long Legs)
My favorite and best month for reading was January, as I had good music to listen to while reading, and we got some snow... that plus the MLK holiday meant some good times spent under covers reading.

During the summer, I binge read through the majority of the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. Averaging at barely 150-200 pages each, ploughing through this 80's middle school series was like spending the afternoon on the couch watching my favorite 20min TV comedy series'. I regret nothing.

September was pretty great for my reading life, as I got enfolded into a book club that is everything I've ever wanted. Yay for finding fellow booknerds!

I tried two different book tracking apps this year. the first one, Bookling, which I found via Buzzfeed, being absolutely perfect, with its cute graphics and achievement badges... untill it caught a bug halfway through the year and went postal. I'm gonna give it another try this year to see if the kinks have been worked out.
The other, Leio, has a clean, no-nonsense interface, and isn't very exciting, but, Oh! what numbers it tracks. Since it tracks by pages read over time, you can find out your average reading speed, habits and more.
However, I quit using apps entirely by the end of the year, cause I just wanted to read.

Finally, for the year's superlatives.


Most Likely to Make Me Delete My Social Media // The Circle - Dave Eggers (FABULOUS!)
Best Overall Reading Experience/Best Magical System // Carry On - Rainbow Rowell (read with this playlist on repeat)

Best Mainstream Book "Everybody's reading it!" // Me Before You - JoJo Moyes

Most Disappointing // Eligible - Curtis Sittenfeld (note: someone needs to teach Mr. Sittenfeld about chapters. like what even?)

Most Anticipated // The Crown - Kiera Cass (OhEmGee)

Best Audio Book //  Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson

Best Book Ever // The Awakening of Miss Prim - Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera

Most Challenging Read // The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson

Funniest Book/ Most Mac and Cheese References // Scrappy Little Nobody - Anna Kendrick

Best Middle Grade Fiction/Best Folklore // The Door By the Staircase - Katherine Marsh

Best Graphic Novel // In Real Life - Cory Doctorow, Jen Wang


That's all y'all! Check up in the pages above for my 2017 reading plan.
Happy Reading!

- Sarah










No comments