Du Iz Tak? | The Library Girl Reads














Du Iz Tak by Carson Ellis 
Published by Candlewick Press
Genre: Picture Book 
Source: Library 


What a magical thing of beauty this book is!
My curiousity was piqued when I read reviews on this new picture book when it came out this year, but I didn't actually get around to ordering it till it won a Caldecott honor at this year's ALA Youth Media Awards. The story of a community of bugs and a curious new addition to their little neighborhood, this book is far from ordinary. Here's a scene from my recent order unboxing:

Fade in to SarahTheLibraryGirl sitting on the floor in DirectorDiane's office, checking titles off the invoice slip
STLG: *picking up Du Iz Tak, thinks* ooh! I've been curious about this one! *begins flipping through*
STLG: *is hit with the made up language.*
STLG *is stymied for a second*
Made Up Language: *begins to sink in*
MUL: *CLICKS*
STLG: *Starts giggling because genius book is genius*
STLG: *to DirectorDiane* Here! look at this one! you're gonna hate it!
DD: *takes book and begins reading out loud* "Du iz tak? Ma Nazoot" What is this?!?
DD: *Skims rest of book* This is wierd, you're never picking books again! *doesn't mean that last bit*
STLG: It's an award winner! We had to have it!
STLG: *takes book back and resumes giggling over it*

After that little exchange, I was curious to see how it would go over with other people, so I took it home with me this weekend and literally shoved it in the hands of everyone who walked into my house.  My roommate read it and picked it up faster than I had even, (she figured out ribble when I couldn't!) a friend of ours read it out loud, with great vigor and a German accent (which somehow seems appropriate) and declared gladdenboot to be his new favorite word.

Far from nonsense, Du Iz Tak is perfect for the word-nerd and budding linguist. The illustrations are not to be forgotten as well! Everything from color palette to the tiniest details (and one special surprise bug) calls out to be studied over again and again. Iz unk scrivendelly boont. 


No comments